Friday, May 10, 2013

Favorite Things Friday

My sister recommended that I have themed days on the blog.  I like the idea a lot, but this would force me to commit to themes.  A few weeks ago, I posted a Funny Friday post.  Unfortunately, I don't have anything particularly funny to report.  Today is Favorite Things Friday.  

HERB GARDEN
After killing a lot of herbs in a particularly shady part of our backyard last year, I'm delighted that we finally have a thriving herb garden.  The basil needs to be trimmed back regularly, so that it doesn't take over the entire planter.  The thyme on the left is actually in back.  Since taking this photo, I found where the yard guys had hidden my cilantro sign.  You'll be happy to know that I'm accurately labeled now.  

Here are our top ways to use herbs:
1.  Burger patties with thyme, rosemary, sauté onions and green bell peppers. 
2.  Smoothies with berries, pineapple, orange juice and a healthy dose of fresh cut basil.
3.  White rice, steamed with chicken broth and onions.  After cooking, I add the juice of one lime and a lot of fresh chopped cilantro.

We got the herb signs from Buck Pottery in Gruene, TX and the planters from Home Depot last year.


DISH GLOVES
I'm proud that we eat a lot of whole foods cooked from scratch.  What people rarely talk about is how cooking whole foods from scratch creates a lot more dishes.  I am totally hooked on these pretty dish gloves by Boston Warehouse (these and these are also super cute).  My hands fear no hot water, dish soap, or metal polish with these babies.  It also makes me bolder in tackling toilet cleaning and potty training accidents.  After a few years of being hooked on these, I realized how hard it is for me to wash without them.  When I wash dishes outside of my home, it's almost comical how I try to shield my hands from getting wet.  Cute aprons may be a trend, but I can't get enough of my cute dish gloves.



ROLLING BACKPACK AS LUGGAGE
When I flew standby alone to London / Paris with the kids (blog link here), I borrowed a rolling backpack from my mom (AKA Grammy).  I packed 2 weeks of clothes for the kids and myself in a carry-on size rolling backpack similar to this one.  If you've ever pushed a double stroller loaded with 2 kids, a diaper bag, etc., you'll understand how you simply do not have a spare hand to drag a rolling suitcase.  This was particularly true when getting on/off of trains.  Taylor and I have not had much luck in our luggage purchases, but I think this one will be a winner.

Here are a few features I like:
1.  Meets airlines carry-on standards and it's a rolling backpack.
2.  A cushioned pouch for a laptop, which is a must for Taylor's business trips and so that I can make blog posts on the road.
3.  One large compartment that opens completely to store tightly rolled clothes.
4.  Smaller exterior pocket to store toiletries (easily accessible when going through security).
5.  Small side pockets with zippers that can be used for cell phone, wallet, passports, etc.  These add accessibility and security for high use items.
6.  Masculine enough that hubby won't mind toting it around as needed.


I'm very excited about a very long road trip that Grammy, the kids and I are taking this summer.  We leave June 16th, and I think this little backpack will be joining us.  Even without a stroller, it's nice to have a hand on each child and still be able to carry luggage in and out of the hotel each night.  

I just mapped our total trip.  Google maps is telling me it will be approximately 3300 miles / 50 hours on the road.  I'll give more trip details as we approach our departure date.

No comments:

Post a Comment