Sunday, March 1, 2015

Earrings for Anna Belle

Last Christmas, we went with Trisha (Anna Belle's cousin) to get one of her ears re-pierced.  Trisha had some serious anxiety, which meant Anna Belle felt some anxiety over it too.  In the fall, Anna Belle started talking about getting her ears pierced on her fourth birthday.  I have been eager to get her ears pierced (almost since infancy), whereas Taylor has been more content to wait.  We agreed to get her ears pierced when she was old enough to ask for it.

We had visited 2 different ear piercing places this week, to get Anna Belle comfortable with the process.  I failed to tell her that it would hurt.  Right before the real deal, I pinched her ear with my finger nail and told her it would hurt just like that.  She had a moment of apprehension, but quickly and independently sprung back into excitement.

A picture tells a thousand words.




A lot of support for a little girl.


Dot marks the spot

Taylor and I were in disagreement on how Anna Belle would do.  Taylor expected mega tear fest and an unwillingness to do ear #2.  You can see my mega anxiety before the first ear. 

Anna Belle was in mild surprise at the pain after the first and tears began to swell in her eyes a bit.  The second ear went really quickly after the first.  You can tell Anna Belle's face shows more anxiety with the second ear.

I was super eager to pick up my girl, but I had to leave her for a minute to get her ears cleaned.  She really fought back the tears bravely.  I feel like these pictures show her mixed emotions well.


 A little lollipop made everything instantly better, and she's been all smiles since.

Taylor asked her to smile for the camera.  This is her Queen Elsa face, very regal.

I didn't expect to be a bit emotional over the "coming of age" that this represents.  Mostly, I just wish I could slow down time every day.  That would be great.  Except when we're sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment